"Today's solutions are tomorrow's problems". Larry E. Greiner, 1972.
When fast growth is needed, startups have a tendency to put people issues on the back burner, or to use temporary fixes. This stores up risks that can derail the business at a later date.
what can you do about this?
As a startup leader you may never have had structured support of the kind that PeopleUp offers. That's ok. Take a look at the challenges outlined below. If any of it sounds familiar, or if you just have a nagging feeling that there may be something you are missing, contact PeopleUp for a free consultation. You don't need to know what help you might need - you just need to know about your business. Or you can pop along to one of our Startup People Clinics for a taster.
- Hiring team members who go on to fail
- Unconscious bias limiting diversity of perspective and experience
- Bringing science, rigour and structure to your hiring decisions - improving your hit rate and reducing bias
- 1:1 or team coaching for founders and senior leaders who have to adapt their role or style
- Team interventions to remove barriers to openness and trust when pivot or persist decisions need to be made
- Founders getting in the way of their team when it grows
- Founder relationships deteriorating
Supporting & Engaging the Team
- Failing to give the right level of stretch - leading to disengagement or burnout
- Losing critical staff to competitors
- Interventions to support individual resilience
- Helping you select, implement and use people technology focused on performance, objectives or engagement (BetterWorks, Lattice, 15Five, Peakon)
Organisation & Culture
- No back up plan for critical staff
- Toxic cultural traits - bro culture or "brilliant jerks"
- Light touch talent management, helping you find and develop internal talent in a systematic way
- Interventions to help you shape, monitor and course correct on culture